Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Saloon number 2

Finished off my turbo brace tonight, intake hoses turned up today for the Charge cooler. Had to offer it all up and see what fit were. Little bit of trimming off the 90 from the turbo to be done but nothing much. Need to either make or buy a 3" top hat and it will all line up pretty sweet.IMG20220307194612.jpgIMG20220307194727.jpg

IMG20220307194549.jpg

looking good mate, how high is the charge cooler gonna be, looks really high up in the bay! or you hoping to drop it down by trimming the 90 like u said?

looking good mate, how high is the charge cooler gonna be, looks really high up in the bay! or you hoping to drop it down by trimming the 90 like u said?
It's not too bad I reckon a inch of the hose or 2 and il have it cam cover hight. Plus that should allow me to fit the over flow bottle by the actual header tank

It's not too bad I reckon a inch of the hose or 2 and il have it cam cover hight. Plus that should allow me to fit the over flow bottle by the actual header tank

ah sweet, it looks loads higher than that. can't wait to see it start to take shape

Last night I tweeked and finalised my turbo support bracket and lowered the charge cooler so it's inline with the engine top. Removed the unwanted pipes from the old inlet setup, new top hat is on its way in 3" current top has is 2.5"I think. Either way it's getting changed. received_347541104054285.jpegIMG20220310194051.jpg

Cheers Dave, so 3" top hat arrived, I jigged around with charge cooler pipes again trimmed them down so it falls inline, found myself a 3" 90 lines up perfect, then started looking at radiator choice, it's a headache, all will be explained in due time I just need to figure stuff out. IMG20220312114845.jpgIMG20220313165619.jpg

Not much to report this weekend. However I have managed to get my head around the radiators at the front and mocked up the AC pipes. I will be using the Alloy Astra Rad just need the outlets moving to suit. Least I can use the pegs at the bottom and the fixings at the top to secure it.. astra AC condenser should bolt in on the original fixings, that leaves the CC rad which il either weld in a support bar across the front or bolt in. I've enough space for 2 x 8" fans this should be enough for AC. And the main rad well that's big enough for a 14" fan or bigger.

So just a quick run down on the picture Saab AC compressor, Saab AC connector, I cut the AC pipes as stumps the Astra pipe were also cut and they a bigger diemeter, so the slide over the stumps. Pretty straight forward just need them welding up now and they done. So il be sending these and the rad to be alloy welded :)IMG20220320133914.jpg

Good work mate, nice touch running AC!
Cheers Dave just trying to make a good all rounder, last thing I want is to be sweating wile out on track lol. I've got a EPAS coloum aswell so that will be fitted at some point :)

Cheers Dave just trying to make a good all rounder, last thing I want is to be sweating wile out on track lol. I've got a EPAS coloum aswell so that will be fitted at some point :)
You'll still be sweating believe me from someone who has a track car with Air con lol

Great work and love seeing more progress on it

You'll still be sweating believe me from someone who has a track car with Air con lol

Great work and love seeing more progress on it

Do I not try hard enough on track , I never sweat lol

So previously I wanted to use the astra Alloy rad I have but it's far too tall and I literally have no clearance for the Exhaust downpipe. So after speaking with Germaine he kindly pointed me in the right direction of a radiator that's going to work and it sits lower, this means I can move it forward and clear the Exhaust. Il need to order one.

So today I woke up decided on having a day in the garage and the shed, after getting a few items in the post this week, I had to get on with it. All the little stuff you don't see so il list what I've done.
started with the Turbo oil lines, I'd ordered a AN4 long stalk banjo for the feed as the smaller ones kinder sat wonky due to the AN fitting sitting proud. It's perfect now. Made up the AN10 return pretty simple 2x 90s, length of hose, and a long stalk weld on AN10 male this was trimmed down and slotted into a silicone reducer job done.
fitted the Coolant temp gauge sensor as the Saab ones done work on a conversion, removed it, fitted a adaptor and my original single wire Vaux one. Just needs a wire running to it next.
fitted up the Charge cooler overflow bottle, I don't think it looks out if place were I've put it. Had to make up a bracket to support it but that's no issue. Another job ticked off, made all the pipework up also, need some clamps to hold them in place.
IMG20220415143046.jpg

Then I decided to wrap my exhaust manifold with the Titanium wrap, and get that back on and bolted up finally, it's only been on a year :lol:
IMG20220415175122.jpg
I still have to goose neck to wrap which il do in the morning.

Few year back I had my calipers powder coated however they powder coated were the seals sit. So I've put the job off for ages but they were staring at me so I've had to split the calipers today.
IMG20220415070847.jpgIMG20220415070858.jpg
You can see how thick the coating is job to do is chip it all off around the seat :/ then re-assembly can carry on. I was surprised they actual came apart no bolts snapped neither. More to come tomorrow no doubt :)

As posted I sorted my rear calipers out, having to blow my pistons out with a airline is fun :lol: I had to get my engraving tools out on the drill to grind down the powder coat, but got the job done seals are now seated and all built back up now to get them on the car.
IMG20220416101926.jpgIMG20220416120000.jpg

So today I had a spare couple hours, so thought about getting my brake servo stripped it was red and rotten. So I attacked it lightly with a used Flap disc on the grinder, some 120 sand paper by hand and a finishing pad. I was going to prime it but had none in a can. I have a High build for the gun but the HARDER was no good so it got left.. Cleaned the MC it was black so stripped it back to Original and cleaned the bottle.. Servo will be going Body colour (Chili Orange) to blend in. IMG20220418170346.jpgIMG20220418183135.jpg

Couple of bits done this morning before I head out to work. Made my link pipes for the brembos and cleaned up the rear compensator valves.. I did have 2 zinc coated but they some how melted :( luckily I had 2 spare so il get these painted. I aim to get my brake system done on Sunday.
IMG20220420063414.jpg
IMG20220420063430.jpg
IMG20220420064104.jpgIMG20220420065237.jpg

Couple of spare hours on night after work pushing myself to get these brakes on the car this weekend. Thursday I primed the servo, Tonight I got it flatted back and in colour. :) Also my Caliper Decals turned up early so got them on also. IMG20220422191958.jpg IMG20220421193238.jpgIMG20220422185510.jpg
IMG20220422185829.jpg

So yesterday I got my Servo fitted, resealed the 2 mating faces, fed the AC wiring down the outside of the inner wing, luckily I have another AC loom to extend the original. Today felt like a good day actually got the car out the garage to work on.. accomplished a few jobs off, All my calipers on, new pads and fitting kits, fitted my rear inline compensator valves, made the rear axle brake lines to calipers. Sorted my fuel sender out and return pipe.
received_564046214940662.jpeg
IMG20220423192505.jpgIMG20220424100601.jpg
Looked High and low for this, found it under the driver's seat. That's the brake pedal attached aswell.
IMG20220424102246.jpg

IMG20220424124424.jpgIMG20220424160600.jpg

As you can see the car is still 2 colours but soon will be one. Get the mechanical work done and dusted then il paint the rest of it :)

You gonna crimp your air con harness together :lol:

looks amazing! Gonna be a well specd car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back