Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Astravan Epic!

4DC34188-C6E1-4434-BB71-CC7E47974125.jpegB4E29FB4-E811-4069-AF63-610FFA7AE477.jpeg

That’s not gone well :(

coming home the other night, car alongside changed lane from lane 2 to lane 1, not the most complicated manoeuvre.. so to spice it up the driver without the use of their eyes!

anyway, 3rd party insurers have accepted liability on his behalf. They’ve agreed to let the engineer speak to me and deal with it, rather than trying to sort through the system.. so should all be fine, just need to find some bits

think I’ve found a nos door skin, so just need the side molding strip for the door, and if possible the one for the rear 1/4 (of course this is the van only one :( )

if anyone has a lead, please let me know… thanks

Thanks to Keith at VauxhallGreenParts I now have a door,

He also sorted the part numbers for the other bits I need, and pointed out so new old stock moulding strips on eBay

I found the one for the door in the UK, the blank bit that would say LS or merit that fits in the door panel came from Essen

So I’ve got all the bits I need (with the exception of any broken clips when I swap stuff)

27E769C7-4B87-47E9-8B86-0BB02E659313.jpeg

Insurance engineer called and said I had 2 options, write it off or they’d offer payment in lieu of repairs. This means I can fix it, it won’t be recorded as write off or anything.
He offered a bit over £1000, not sure if I’d have beeen able to argue with him, but to be honest it seemed a fair price so I accepted

I’ll fit the door to the van to check it fits, then get it tidied up and painted and I can swap all the parts over myself over a weekend.
Can fit the spare white door whilst I sort it so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem

Sounds like a good outcome in the end tbh and glad you got all the parts

Tell you what you did really well to find all those bits! Gutted for you but good find and hope it gets sorted

Tell you what you did really well to find all those bits! Gutted for you but good find and hope it gets sorted
I looked for some when I resprayed the van, couldn’t find any anywhere so refreshed the ones on there.. so couldn’t believe my luck when they popped up on eBay!

Especially the rear ones that are can specific

I looked for some when I resprayed the van, couldn’t find any anywhere so refreshed the ones on there.. so couldn’t believe my luck when they popped up on eBay!

Especially the rear ones that are can specific

Yea you basically have to just keep searching the internet for the same thing again and again, then one day, bam your in luck!

Took a while, but sorted in the end

IMG_3029.jpegIMG_3072.jpegIMG_3075.jpegIMG_3076.jpeg

Even though it took a while, preferred doing this to getting a courtesy van and waiting (comparing it to having newer vehicles repaired)

And now it’s back to it’s former glory it looks lovely again.

Needs another 10k service, and investigate a slight knock on the front end

But nearly 3 1/2 years ownership and coming up to 50k miles, got some rust blebs to start investigating soon, the downside of using an old vehicle all year I guess

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 2
glad u got it sorted, the colour match looks spot on, is it good in real life too?

Another 10k miles so van got a service.

Also had developed a bit of a creak/clunk at the front end
IMG_3204.jpegIMG_3203.jpeg
Top mount had split and started to bulge, so swapped for a second hand spare, but creak continued

So decided to give the van a bit of love.
Swapped both top mounts, lower ball joints, track rod ends, drop links.
Whilst there I’d warped a disc, so did discs and pads
Also swapped the engine mounts too

And still had a tiny creak! Grrrr
That turned out to be subframe bolts

End result is it feels so much nicer, back to where it was when I first went through the front end.
I’ve tried to use better quality parts (ordered off of autodoc and branded) so hoping they’ll last a bit longer this time, but we’ll see

IMG_3813.jpegIMG_3812.jpeg
And then swapped wheels back to the steels

Gave it a wash and polish, and today took it to a car show locally. Classic Stony

IMG_3859.jpeg

Looking good. Well done John. It will be a bit late for this year's event, but I really would love to see my old van one day at the Thirlestane Castle festival. 2024 maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back