Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

CAR300 display problem

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Mk3 Premier 1.6 reg 1996. The ice display doesn't show info when I switch on the unit but sometimes lights up after some time.
Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of this problem.
Thanks

I remember this being a common issue, people used to change the unit if i remember correctly. If you have put an aftermarket cd player in at some point, it could be something to do with the wiring at the back. Remove the unit and see if there is anything obvious regarding the connections

Thanks for your reply. The unit is a CAR300, all original & the display does light up after a while, several minutes sometimes as long as 15 to 20. You could be right about there being a connection problem, think I will have to take it out & check all connections.

Could possibly be the bulbs?
Thanks for your reply. It does light up eventually which would indicate it isn't a problem with the bulbs. My thought is that it might be a loose connection somewhere, or a fault with the electronics. The radio & cassette player both work ok even with the display not showing. It is an original CAR300 unit.

Does it function properly after 20 mins or does it just light up with the backlight?

Check if all the other electrics are working properly and the altenator is charging, if the unit was faulty, i doubt it would work at any point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back