Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

1.7TD GM engine - veg oil?

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 1.7TD with the GM engine (all standard), can this be run on vegetable oil? Straight off the shelf stuff rather than from a chippy.

Thanks.

Technically - Yes, it will run, but I wouldn't consider running it purely on veg oil in these cold/freezing temperatures approaching us now. The viscosity of the veg oil will get thicker as it gets colder, thus causing a higher load on your engine and resistance in the fuel filter to draw it from the tank (Assuming you have a belt driven diesel pump) You'll defiantly suffer with cold starts.

My mate used to run a 50/50 ratio of clean veg oil and diesel in his VW Passat, i.e. 20 liters of veg oil to 20 liters of diesel. This worked absolutely fine....... But bare in mind, following him on the road.... the fumes coming from his car still smelt like a chip shop :lol: .

Thank you for this! I'd probably put £20 of diesel into the car and then top it up with Veg Oil. The car has a lazy starter motor so currently it's taking a bit longer than normal to start in the mornings. Once it's been started in the morning, it's then fine when I come to drive it later in the day. I'll go get some tonight and top it up.

Update! So I bought 3 Litres from Tesco and added that to my tank which had about 6 Litres of pump fuel in it. Took a while to start (but it does that anyway), no issues on my 21 mile commute to work this morning. So far so good!

I made a silly mistake yesterday..... went to Tesco to fill up the work van with diesel.... started filling, then suddenly had a strong whiff of petrol, looked down and all I could see was this big green nozzle in my hand :doh:..... instantly released the trigger and looked how much I’d put in, luckily it was only 7 litres!.... I managed to get 40 litres of diesel on top of that. Went in to pay, then realised my fuel card only allows payment for bloody diesel and oil, i had to pay for it obviously, so made myself out of pocket of about £9. First time in my whole life of driving I’ve made this mistake! Driven about a 100 miles in the van so far, all is good :biggrin:.

Hows your veggy getting on mate? :rolleyes:

Oh no :lol::lol::lol::lol: I've not put any more in since I last time, but it ran perfectly. Bit worrying when I'm in start stop traffic as it stinks :hmmm: but I've got myself another daily now so the Astra is up for sale :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back