Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

DarrenH's astra gsi turbo

mk3 handles better imho. even without the diff. turbo power is nice too, not having to wring the neck to make progress, torque hauls you from the apex out of corners. :)

Haha yeah I do miss the 300 odd ft/lb torque I used to have in the Gsi in 3rd mostly, even though my Evo has more you felt it more in the astra if you see what I mean :D

Hmmmm thats interesting, Ive never driven a MK2 astra so can't compare but generally I was under the impression that MK2's were supposed to handle better than MK3's?! Although of course that depends a lot on suspension, wheel, tyre choice etc :D

well i think its all down to the front suspension. the mk3 subframe is far superior regards lateral suspension geometry.

mk3 has a stiffer shell too.

bit of extra kerb weight also helps stability in corners.

i fitted the billet rear engine mount today. it went quite well, story board time...

so, heres a picture up the back of the F28, standard F20 rear engine mount bracket, calibra turbo engine mounting block...

beefmount01.jpg

further up the F20 engine mount bracket, showing the gear linkage

beefmount02.jpg

heres the F20 rear engine mount bracket taken off the car

beefmount03.jpg

heres the gap left by taking the F20 rear engine mount bracket out...

beefmount04.jpg

following on from the last page of my diary, i modified a spare rear engine mount bracket to give space for the new billet version, leaving basically just a gear linkage bracket. i just carefully cut the front off with and angle grinder, smoothed it all down...

beefmount05.jpg

next i made up a little thread cleaner because the holes that mount the new billet rear engine mount bracket will be all crudded up with road grime and oil. basically took a spare M10 bolt out of my collection, cut a groove down one side with a hobby drill (a hacksaw would do)...

beefmount06.jpg

screw them slowly into the thread you want to clear out, backing off every few turns as you go, all the crud and grime gets collected in the groove in the bolt. check out the crud in the holes i was gonna use!

beefmount08.jpg

after i cleaned up the holes in the back of the F28, i bolted up the new billet rear engine mount bracket. some of the bolts were quite tricky to get into, but deft usage of the trolley jack to raise or lower the back of the engine fixed that...

beefmount09.jpg

next with the calibra turbo rear mounting block bolted up...

beefmount10.jpg

view from the engine bay...

beefmount11.jpg

next with the modified F20 rear engine mount bracket bolted up to the F28, just supporting the gear linkage...

beefmount12.jpg

last picture, little bit higher up to show the linkage...

beefmount122.jpg

excellent, well pleased, the car is back down on its wheels and i can now drive it confidently and aggressively without this happening again!!!

mountbust01.jpg

big thanks to tomk over on mig who is producing these brackets, i hope he can speed up production and turn around because theres allot of interest in them, and rightly so!!

Last edited:
so going back ages - did the 60mm help any more than the 40mm?

i know what you mean on the spring coils :(

as nice a car as it is, and as much pride i take in modifying and making it nice, my heart isnt really in mk3's and theres not a great deal more i would like to do to it. (purely owning it doesnt seem to be enough to keep me interested)

real slick motor im hoping for mine for be turbo'd up after chrimbo fingers crossed

This was from 2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back