Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Rolling arches??

Best answers
Reaction score
After having the car lowered, and running on 16"s, I now think i need to get the arches rolled.

When i have an empty back seat, it is fine. but once loaded with 2 mates, both of which are probably 15stone, the tyres are scrubbing on the inner arch lip, and marking the tyres.

What is the best way to do this?

* roll the arches up? (by bending it with a hammer? but i have heard the paint on the outer arch will probably crack)

* use an air saw and cut away the inner arch lip, but make sure i treat it with some paint otherwise it will rust like a biatch?

Anyone care to help?

there is a tool made for the job which rolls the arches back most body shops can do it and doens not cost much DONT grind the arches as this will cause lots of problems to occur if u use a hammer u will make a right mess to the outer arch sorry if this has put a downer on things.

chris

Strange, mine is dropped 40mm on the back, with a ridiculous offset, huge tyres etc - and mine only ever scrubs (with peopel in the back) after going over speedbumps at high speed, or through a local ford.

And mine is ****ed for clearance...

Will have a look if you're coming to the next meet John!

Rolling the arches is a good way to get an extra bit of clearance since it doesn't require any cosmetic work like painting and spraying if done correctly.

I've seen the tool on e-bay a few times, but i'd call some local bodychops, since it's not a tool you're gonna use a lot :)

16s?! what is the offset then? it must be miles out for you to consider rolling the arches. i've got 18s, et42, lowered 50mm, and the rear weighs a ton without people in the back and it never rubs.

What width are your tyres Ben?

I'm running 205/55's with an ET38, and it rub's only when pushed really hard over speed bumps etc.

Had a more or less right angled (slightly sweeping) bend at a set of traffic lgihts taken at 50 last Saturday - and it didn't rub in the slightest!

Consider getting a rear strut brace? Mine hasn't rubbed at all since I fitted it...

For anyone who was at Billing this year...

You could do a Beenie, and just bang the lip inwards with a scissor jack, and then proceed to jam it outwards with a breaker bar...?

ive got 17s on et38 and doesnt rub with people in the car

ive got et49 speedlines lowered 50mm and i can put 5 in it no probs the only rubbing i get is the exhaust on speedbumps.ben

Just to let anyone know - ET35 17"s work fine lowered 40mm on the front ... but no hope in hell on the rear - bang straight into the lip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back