Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

2022 Calendar Entries

Photo was taken a while ago pal...she is pretty rusty now and auto box playing up each morning when i go to work!
Goes into limp mode, but once engine is warmed up its okish!
Also rust has took hold around petrol filler/cap port...not sure how to tackle it as I'm no welder so tempted to bodge it!
Slight misfire from cold too and she sounds rough!!
tappety sound and no power!
It was supposed to have had a full service at my pals garage where they kept it two months...(they were so busy),but didn't do half of what i told them to do and the mechanic who worked on my car has long gone!!!
Not sure whether to throw more money at it or scrap it!(I have spent nearly £500 on it this year ...had a new catalytic converter/brake cylinder and erm fullish service on it apparently!!lol.
I was offered £300 scrap before i spent £500 on it too...car only cost me £400 odd 12 plus years ago !!
Any lads out there around notts area who can help me/advice me?
The limp mode thing is the contact on the top of the gearbox, mine used to do it, think had to drill the rivets out and then took it apart cleaned it up then re-greased it and it never did it again

Photo was taken a while ago pal...she is pretty rusty now and auto box playing up each morning when i go to work!
Goes into limp mode, but once engine is warmed up its okish!
Also rust has took hold around petrol filler/cap port...not sure how to tackle it as I'm no welder so tempted to bodge it!
Slight misfire from cold too and she sounds rough!!
tappety sound and no power!
It was supposed to have had a full service at my pals garage where they kept it two months...(they were so busy),but didn't do half of what i told them to do and the mechanic who worked on my car has long gone!!!
Not sure whether to throw more money at it or scrap it!(I have spent nearly £500 on it this year ...had a new catalytic converter/brake cylinder and erm fullish service on it apparently!!lol.
I was offered £300 scrap before i spent £500 on it too...car only cost me £400 odd 12 plus years ago !!
Any lads out there around notts area who can help me/advice me?
My green Astra atlas e-drive has rotten inner and outer rear wheel arches, especially the offside and she was welded in that area, 5 years in a row to get through the m o t, but this year she needed major surgery to get her through the mot in August so I chose to place her on SORN and place her in covered storage for £66 per month because she has only let me down once since I bought her in march 2004 and mechanically she is perfect and still as reliable as ever! I purchased my Astra LS 1.4 hi-torq in April for £250 as her replacement but I ended up keeping them both because nothing else on the road is as good looking as a mark 3 Astra and the pair I own where both built in Antwerp in January and march 1995, five weeks apart, so I would keep yours if you can, my hi-torq used to misfire and cut out at traffic lights when it first hit the road, so I changed the distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads and she feels like a different car now, she also had a full service and cam belt and water pump change in may to get her ready for the road!

My green Astra atlas e-drive has rotten inner and outer rear wheel arches, especially the offside and she was welded in that area, 5 years in a row to get through the m o t, but this year she needed major surgery to get her through the mot in August so I chose to place her on SORN and place her in covered storage for £66 per month because she has only let me down once since I bought her in march 2004 and mechanically she is perfect and still as reliable as ever! I purchased my Astra LS 1.4 hi-torq in April for £250 as her replacement but I ended up keeping them both because nothing else on the road is as good looking as a mark 3 Astra and the pair I own where both built in Antwerp in January and march 1995, five weeks apart, so I would keep yours if you can, my hi-torq used to misfire and cut out at traffic lights when it first hit the road, so I changed the distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads and she feels like a different car now, she also had a full service and cam belt and water pump change in may to get her ready for the road!
Totally agree with your sentiments of the Astra mk 3 being good looking and nothing else to match it,but my Mrs thinks im just throwing dead money on mine and id be better off getting a modern car!
I haven't got a garage (unlike the vast majority of my neighbours),just a long driveway that can take in 5/6 cars with ease!
I have just taxed the astra not long back and it still gets me to work even when its not running proper!lol.
I will have to think long and hard as i have another car that my Mrs and kids prefer (luxury car,but still 20 years old),but is increasing in price all the time as it reaches classic car status!
I haven't got the money or will-power to work on both so one has to go or maybe both as like i have said previously my Mrs and kids want something more modern like a Honda Jazz!
The Astra if i did let it go would hopefully go to someone on this website and the most i would ask for it would be £300 or so.
My heart wants me to keep her,my head and Mrs say get rid!!

Totally agree with your sentiments of the Astra mk 3 being good looking and nothing else to match it,but my Mrs thinks im just throwing dead money on mine and id be better off getting a modern car!
I haven't got a garage (unlike the vast majority of my neighbours),just a long driveway that can take in 5/6 cars with ease!
I have just taxed the astra not long back and it still gets me to work even when its not running proper!lol.
I will have to think long and hard as i have another car that my Mrs and kids prefer (luxury car,but still 20 years old),but is increasing in price all the time as it reaches classic car status!
I haven't got the money or will-power to work on both so one has to go or maybe both as like i have said previously my Mrs and kids want something more modern like a Honda Jazz!
The Astra if i did let it go would hopefully go to someone on this website and the most i would ask for it would be £300 or so.
My heart wants me to keep her,my head and Mrs say get rid!!
I was lucky to find the red Astra ls hi-torq for £250 in April as I work as a van driver delivering car parts to garages and one of my customers said that he had it coming in for an MOT after being in storage for 3 years and he said that I had to see it before I acquired a 55 plate mark 5 Astra off my brother-in-law which I didn't really want because it has got the 1.4 engine with a timing chain which is absolutely awful and it needed a new cylinder head and timing chain! When I saw under the bonnet on the ls hi-torq I fell in love with it and after my 900 miles tour of Scotland and the lake District in September I definitely made the right choice, maybe you could get another mark 3 Astra, if yours is too far gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back