Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Fli 12 active sub problem

Best answers
Reaction score
hi i have got a fli FT12 active subwoofer
1566_fronprodFT10%20ACTIVE-F5.jpg

I got it from a man from a car garage and he said it was brand new but it seems very underpowered as i have to turn the gain up quite a lot to actually make it sound half decent. But when i turn the music up the sub just distorts. The man i got it from said it had never been used and then i asked him if it had been run in and he said it did. Do u recon it hasnt been run in properly? is that y it is so underpowered? or is it just a crap sub? my mate has an edge 12 inch sub and the rms is lower than my sub but sounds so much better and louder and he ran his in properly. I heard that my rca's cud be round the wrong way on the bak of the head unit gonna check them when i have got a minute. Could this be the problem?

any help is mch appreciated.

Last edited:
Id rather have edge over fly as I hear bad thing's about them, :sorry:

ive got one of these which i brought brand new and ive never had a problem with mine i think they are under powered as my gain is turned up

I cant comment on the new range, but I've got a trap 10 and twin trap 12 and they are both great. Really bassy, no distortion. What head unit are you running?

if your rca cables are the wrong way round on the back of the head unit u wont need to take the head unit out to test that just swap them round on the box it self i know the colours wont be right then put it will prove a point..like josh said you get what u pay for (no offence) some head units have a sub out put on the back and then in the menu on the head unit there is a setting for the sub check to see if u have that on your head unit and then if u have play about with it

you get what you pay for ;)

if your rca cables are the wrong way round on the back of the head unit u wont need to take the head unit out to test that just swap them round on the box it self i know the colours wont be right then put it will prove a point..like josh said you get what u pay for (no offence) some head units have a sub out put on the back and then in the menu on the head unit there is a setting for the sub check to see if u have that on your head unit and then if u have play about with it

I wouldnt say you get what you pay for with Fli. I've never had a problem with mine. When I run it off my alpine head unit I have to turn the gain down because its too loud. It has a dedicated sub output which may effect things then 2 extra RCA outputs for front and rear. On another head unit I had, it was a little on the quiet side, but it only had one set of RCAs which could be used for anything. It may be worth investigating just what the RCA's on the head unit are designed to drive. I know there is a cross over on the amp, but having a dedicated output on the head unit can really help it along.

I had a FLi amp once, it never worked right from new, I took it apart and the soldering was horrendous, I'm sure an 8 year old could have done a better job. Learnt my lesson and got a JL Audio amp :)

fli's poo to start with. had one in my ztec s there just rubbish subs i'd sent it back and get a decent one tbh

Just sounds like a crap sub to me? Also having a crap head unit wont help matters either?

7 month thread bump tell him his sub is ****, nice one :lol:

lol did'nt even notice that why is it always randoms with low post counts who seem to bump ancient threads? lmao

i have a fli active 12 sub, mine worked fine with my sony headunit loads of bass had to turn the gain down really,, mine and since fli are made by vibe they should be good ok i no fli are like vibes value range but still good quality was great until i put my tire iron thro the cone, ive since just replaced the sub with a vibe and its still bouncing down the road, tweek your bass and gain on the amp and check your headunit equalizer turn it up loud and tune you sub around it until theres no distortion,

ive got a fli sub running a vibe mono amp on it sounds bassy to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back