Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Modifying The Astra - Progress Timeline!

AL

Best answers
Reaction score
Starting a new thread to get all my pic's nicely in to one place :)

December 31st 2004, Standard!

project17ji.jpg

First mod, clear side repeater's!

project22dn.jpg

April 2005

Stage 1 of the project.
Astra Sport Wheels
GSi Lights
M3 (Chav) Mirrors
De-Stripped/Badged
Colour-Coded Sport Rear Spoiler

This is how the car appeared at PVS 2005.

project32gb.jpg

project41cb.jpg

August/September 2005

Stage 2 of the project.
Team Dynamics Monza 16's (ET38, and slightly buckled...)
Sparco Rally Mudflaps
-40mm Lowering (Front Springs To Be Fitted)
Sportex 4 x 3" Backbox
Phase 1 Electric Mirrors (Rover Charcoal Grey - to match new wheels...)
Uber-Bright Sidelight Bulbs
Custom Painted Grille

project51jg.jpg

project69pt.jpg

project83ro.jpg

project93ut.jpg

Interior

May 2005

Stage 1
Ripspeed Gearknob
Under-Dash Neons (Blue)
JVC Headunit

interior14oj.jpg

August 2005

Stage 2
Calibra Leather Interior
Clocks with Rev Counter

interior24jt.jpg

October 2005

Stage 3 (50%)
GSi Seats + Doorcards
Momo Steering Wheel
Snap-Off Boss
New Cold Cathodes under dash (blue)
Pioneer MP3 Headunit

interior37zr.jpg

interior43ca.jpg

interior58pl.jpg

Boot/ICE!

April 2005

Stage 1
Motorworld/SPLX Package:
10" Sub, 350 Watt Amp.
Purple LED Bar.

boot13ll.jpg

June/July 2005

Stage 2
MDF Install Created - Then Junked Shortly Later...

boot24mu.jpg

October 2005

Stage 3
Pioneer 10" Sub
Pioneer 4" 3 Way's (In Shelf)
Pioneer 6.5" Compo's
Pioneer MP3 Headunit
Boot Stripped and Painted
Sparco Strut Brace
Fire Extinguisher
MDF Floor (To be Levelled + Trimmed)
Blue Cold Cathodes

boot33tw.jpg

boot42bu.jpg

From Now On, All Images Will be Posted in Real-Time - Updates Made On The Day They Are Required - Stay Tuned Folks!

22/10/2005

Pic's of the electrical fire. This is a reminder to all that any connections direct from the battery should be fused - I was lucky in this case! The white powder is from my extinguisher - and there's still loads in the dash!

fire17vy.jpg

fire20kg.jpg

fire37us.jpg

29/10/2005

Gave the ol' girl a clean and a polish - therefore I found it apt to whack on my show plates and do some decent end of year pic's before the weather get's too bad/I crash it again!

Desparately need to get those front rpings on, and my bigger brakes, and some colour coded handles...and...and...lol

200519nq.jpg

200520as.jpg

200536vv.jpg

200549cw.jpg

200558io.jpg

200568dj.jpg

31/10/2005

First of all, the ICE has been going strong - the difference my Magnat amp made is amazing! Really good strong bass, although I keep having to turn it down as things keep rattling a little bit too much :D

ice16ff.jpg

And then....disaster strikes! While cruising at 70 on the M5, headunit cut's out - can't get it to turn back on at all :( Went and not a new fuse from Halfraud's (who keeps mini-blades anyway?) And it still wouldn't work! Then to top it all off, I lost all dahs lgihts and rev's/temp/fuel gauges - only had the mechanical speedo working!
My mate works at Halfraud's so we 'borrowed' the battery tester - it seemed to be fine, alternator was charging, albeit under what we could do with!

So in the ned, I went down to Hopwood Park Services and rang the AA - was advised they'd be with me within 1 1/4 Hours - 6 minutes later the guy turned up! ****nig amazing service :D

Anyway, a replaced fuse and some entertaining hammering of the alternator later, and it's charging at an acceptable rate...ish!

aa10uh.jpg

So anyway, we're ordering in a nice new 70amp alternator which will hopefully keep up with my 600amp battery :D

which momo steering wheel have you got hun?
thats the one i wanna go for but cant find it anywhere.
also what size did u got for coz isnt there 2 different sizes?

Charlie its a Momo Millennium Steering wheel (there is two sizes 320mm and 350mm iirc...)

£142.95
inc VAT

thanks guys :thumbup:

AL said:
I bought it off Mr. Bodge - a.k.a Olly Hewfart - not a clue what size it is...lol

lol, i bought strut brace off him..told me it would fit straight on but ended up cutting inlet to make it fit right :unsure:

will have to measure original wheel and see what size that is. wouldnt mind it a bit smaller so the 320mm sounds better ;)

will have to get wheel sorted next.
you know what insurance companys are like regarding removing airbag steering wheels? ive informed them of all mods as i dont wanna get caught out but i havent any idea how they react to that, i hear some get funny?? think its coz your removing a safety device or something.

Last edited:
charlie18 said:
will have to get wheel sorted next.
you know what insurance companys are like regarding removing airbag steering wheels? ive informed them of all mods as i dont wanna get caught out but i havent any idea how they react to that, i hear some get funny?? think its coz your removing a safety device or something.

thought about getting a new steering wheel thats got an airbag??

something like mine (vx220 wheel) is very much like the millenium anyway (hell its even made by momo aswel)

wheel can be had for about 50-60 quid and airbags are 400 however theres a shop quiete near me that does second hand vx220 airbags for 72+vat and new ones for 82+vat

Worth a thoughrt if u dont wanna be removing a safety device over the sake of a 'look'

thanks mate, wasnt aware of that. have u got any pics of what that wheels like as i cant say ive seen one.

AL said:
Didn't realise you had one of those Reece! Do you have the airbag fitted too? Any difference in wiring up and the horn mechanism etc?

:)

its not fitted at the moment, still waiting on funds to get the airbag..but i do have the wheel itself paid 50 quid for it on mig

Liking the timeline Al, could do one myself but got a worrying feeling the site would crash due to band width!! lmao
Really nice to see a clean Astra merit, getting really rare nw, yours is defently the cleanest one i've ever seen.
What happened to the leather? Never knew you had any in yours.

I did a straight swop with Rennie for the GSi interior with doorcards :D - the leather was nice, but:
a) I couldn't be ****d to make the Cally doorcards fit.
b) With winter coming up, the leather would have been too cold...lol

Thanks for the comments anyway! I just wanna crack on with getting it re-built, but can't as I don't have the resources for everyday travel unfortunately :(
And it's not that clean...lol - passenger door is ****ed and there's absolutely hundreds of dents! MArk's gonna make it mint for me with any luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back