Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

TomF`s GSi Project Stage 2 - Trackday Version

Strange one that, least the quaife is ok.
Yep very odd the way its gone, still drives and selects every gear fine, all the syncros are good, need to check the big bearings in the end case next

How you getting on with the box Tom?
Ive located the parts needed and going to order a new bearing, but thats coming from Germany, rebuild pics to follow !

Started stripping the box more, selector mech and reverse gear removed, bit of head scratching to work out how to remove it, but once a few roll pins where knocked out, the parts came out ok:

Dsc_1727.jpg
Dsc_1728.jpg

Got hold of another main shaft and crown wheel, now I could just fit this shaft as it is, but I dont know the condition of the 1st and 2nd gear syncros so dont wanna take the gamble, so I need to find a gearbox place that can swap my gears on to this new shaft:

Dsc_1750.jpg

Undone the big bolts in the end case bearings so now all I need to do it press both shafts out of these bearings at the same time:

Dsc_1730.jpg
Dsc_1757.jpg

Some more strip down pics, made a bearing pusher to push both gear shafts out at the same time, bit of flat plate, 6 m8 bolts and two big bolts/nuts welded the plate, worked a treat!

Removed the hex head bolts that secure the shafts to the bearings and found some sump plugs with the same thread, screwed them in so the big bolts had something to push against:

Dsc_1766.jpg

Then fitted the pusher:

Dsc_1762.jpgDsc_1763.jpg
Dsc_1764.jpg

Wound the bolts in and out popped both gear shafts to reveal a damaged 4th gear !

Dsc_1769.jpgDsc_1774.jpgDsc_1775.jpgDsc_1776.jpg

More soon !

Welp. That's one sad looking F28 lol.

Have faith ! haha

The input shaft cluster is sorted, swapped all the syncros off the donor as they where in much better condition than mine and the 4th gear

Just need to sort the final drive cluster out now...

The syncro rings on the donor input shaft where in a much better shape than mine so stripped both down and have swapped them over:

Dsc_1795.jpg

Good on the left, Worn on the right :

Dsc_1796.jpg

Dsc_1806.jpg

And all built back up with the 4th gear that has all its teeth :

Dsc_1819.jpg
Dsc_1821.jpg

Next job, make one good output shaft out of these too, the hard bit as I reckon a 40 ton press is going to be needed !

Dsc_1822.jpg

Last edited:
Im not looking forward to it tbh, have a feeling some heat maybe needed too !

I have seen an output shaft with no gears fitted and not one of the gears are splined to the shaft, its only the syncro hub that is splined !

Nice work with the box Tom if you feel like investing Machine Mart sell a rather expensive 50 Tonne press clicky lol.

Thanks, trying to do as much as I can myself, that press is nice! Its even got its own blast shield too haha!

Yeah, it's crazy how tight you think that has to be for it to grip that shaft. That's a huge amount of torque going through them.

Yep going to find that picture and and post it, mad how the gears just grip with no splines!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back