Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Turbo'ing the X20XEV

Best answers
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER - The info in this thread has been taken from a variety of sources, and put together into this thread. Please note I have NOT done this, however the info is all from a variety of people who HAVE and who have documented it fairly extensively. Neither myself nor MK3OC accept any responsibility for anything you do to your car...

...but please feel free to have a go and tell us about it :lol:

Turbo'ing the X20XEV
...is a popular way of releasing more power from the N/A engine fitted to the ph2 GSi. Off-the-shelf turbo kits are available from a variety of tuners, such as Courtenay Sport, or Regals. dBilas (stocked by Regals) are a common choice for N/A turbo conversions for all size engines, and the X20XEV is no different.

With a little ingenuity and no little skill however, parts from the Z20LET (as fitted to the Mk4 Astra GSi, Zafira GSi, and/or Astra Coupe Turbo) can be used, as the X20XEV is essentially a low-compression normally aspirated version of this engine.

There are plenty of threads on a variety of sites covering this DIY conversion, however here are the highlights for you to ponder when considering your own conversion. It's by no means a definitive guide, but it should contain enough info to get you thinking about it and started on the path to forced induction :)

Lower compression ratio - You have a choice here. Either lower compression pistons, or use either thicker head gaskets and/or a sandwich plate betwen 2 standard head gaskets. Either way, you need to lower compression from 10.8:1 to 8.8:1...

Turbo/Manifold - will be more or less a straight fit from the Z20LET, together with some of the boost hoses. Oil & water hoses will need to be modified in order to feed the turbo however.

ECU & Injectors - Two choices once more. The most expensive (but arguably the best) way is a stand-alone ECU and 5th injector, in parallel with the OEM ECU, and mapped for smooth power delivery. Alternatively you can run the Z20LET ecu & loom, ideally with a remap (see below)

Intercooler - most Z20LET intercooler parts are compatible, so this should be relatively straightforward in terms of connecting it to the engine. mounting it to the car may require custom brackets, but if you've got this far then that'll be a doddle!

Fuel & Oil Pressure - the fuel pump output on the Z20LET is 3.3 bar, and the X20XEV is 3 Bar, therefore when you remap the ECU (see above ;)) you should ensure this is set to the appropriate level to prevent the engine running lean and losing power. Standard oil pressure in the X20XEV is 200k Bar, and 230k Bar in the Z20LET, so this should be adjusted accordingly too.

Like I said folks, this is from a variety of sources, so if anyone has anything further to add (or if anything is glaringly wrong!) then let us know :)

Humm very interesting read.sort of in 2 minds now! R1 throttle bodies and a megasquirt or tubbie the fooker.....

its confirmed what i had already found out :) thanks pete

theres a Zlet on ebay - £250/£350

Would be far cheaper to buy a LET or Z20LET than convert your existing engine

yes it would, but then how many people have done that? don't be a sheep, do something a little different thats what I say :lol:

but is the z20let not drive by wire thus harder to install???

indeed it is, which is why the X20XEV turbo conversion is a damn site easier than swapping the whole engine for a Z-LET. This is reflected in Courtenay's prices, which I researched just for a giggle...

Astra mk3 X20XEV turbo conversion - £3000-£4000
Astra mk3 Z20LET engine transplant - £6000-£7500.

they have your car over a week longer with the transplant as well... :rolleyes:

Pete - as far as i know the fuel regulator on the omega (which is x20xev) is set to 3.5bar so that might throw whats in the post out ;)

I'll look into it and amend accordingly mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back