Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

C1.4NZ not starting

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Best answers
Reaction score
Now I know the timing is 100% the car is still not starting even after 10 try's it's still not going,
In going to get a new fuel pump relay (is currently on a perm live) other then that I have no idea :(

saab it :lol:

Yea it's still tapping,
If your paying kev :d

It's possible that the lifters have drained of oil, which would mean that the valves won't be opening.

Does it splutter at all as if it wants to go?

Might be worth pulling the plugs out to see if they're wet with fuel, and at the same time crank it over to see if you have any spark.

If I keep playing with the dizzy cap side it takes a while to start but now it's 100% times up I don't want to play with it,
I sounds like it wants to go but just dosnt :(
Iv not got that little tool to do the tappets yet but my 8 spare ones will be getting soaked and il just pop them ones in

Are the ht leads in the right order?

Thr leads (should be) are in the right order, Iv not got the tool yet but I tool my old tappets apart cleaned them out fresh oil and back together :)

How much did you strip it, or did you just undo the heads bolts and slide another gasket in, à la Dave?

Swapped the head for a difrent one :o

When I did a full head strip down and opened up the tappets, one of the valves was stuck and it ran like crap for about 10 minutes until it got full so it could be that. It also had bugger all compression on 1 cylinder.

Iv replaced all the tappets, the Timeing is spot on, changed the CTS and distributor and it still don't want to start :(

My next step would be to take the top hat off and check there is fuel, and take the plugs out and check the spark.

If I play with the dizzy back and forward then it starts :-/

My C14NZ never ran right if the dizzy was lined up perfectly on the end, was always a few degree's out.

It's ****ed me off soooo much and iv no money to keep throwing at it, think I'm getting another mk3

Did you ever look at the woodruff key?

Apparently they wear on that engine, so it might be a case of a seemingly unrelated second issue, and not to do with replacing the belt and rebuilding the head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back