Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Dave b's VXR Powered Gsi Diary

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Haha yea I will! I even tried running them in series to drop the brightness but the they are too clever and just won't turn on instead

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sooo I went for my test drive, wound the idle screw up so the revs stay up above 2000rpm, this is to bed the cams in and must be done for the first 20 mins!

Got the 20mins done, did a 25mile drive, little bit of boost, overrun, crusing, all the types of driving.

Got home, had a quick look over things and the engine was pissing oil out the rear main :cry3:
I wasn't too impressed, after all this is the same issue I had before i Built a brand new engine, it's even a different block! But i guess I just haven't got the skills to fit one without leaking! So I ripped the box out that night and that was on the 24th and june and that is where it has sat.

TBF I have been on holiday and racing, but I was just moody with it and needed to take time off so I havent touched it.
So i got over my mood and pulled the sump off, which isn't fun when you have no box in it either!

Looks like there is plenty of sealer down the sides of the cap, but I think I hadn't put enough in the corners where the cap means the block on the mating face... annoying but need to just crack on.

New rear main seal, not taking any risks, and more sealer used this time, I have everything crossed it will be ok this time.

Because of summer and racing and the fact that alot of the car still needs painting, I can't see this being on the road this year now. There is just too much to do without rushing and I'm not rushing so I think I may just plod along now. Luckily I have spent all the major money now, but money has become tight for the next few month so may have to do some overtime with my free time so I am gonna get this back together, take it for another drive to make sure it's ok, then start with all the other jobs that need doing!

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain with rear main seals, I did mine twice before giving up and sending it to Courtney sport to do

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain with rear main seals, I did mine twice before giving up and sending it to Courtney sport to do

Yea mate, I am in exactly the same boat. old engine always leaked out the rear main new engine leaks out the rear main. bloody emotional! Very easy to get disheartened when that sort of thing happens but i have no choice but to get on! It was pouring out aswell :redface:
The main problem is its such a massive job to do aswell!

Today i got the sumps on, flywheel on and clutch on so tomorrow the gearbox is ready to go back in! hopefully will have most of the car back together tomorrow evening ready for the moment of truth test drive.

if it leaks this time i ******* scrapping it!

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I am selling the spit yea. I'm sure I had a conversation with someone about it and they were gonna collect it next time they were down this way, but I can't remember who it was and I can't find the conversation either haha.

Users who are viewing this thread