Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Jimmk3's C20let Gsi

Yeh the rails are the same, the LET reg is 3.0 bar though so use that and not the XE one

I have a toyosports cooler, although I don't have a LET the pipework to the topat is pretty much the same I think..

Basically I have a 90° pipe coming off the cooler pointing up, which then goes to a 45° pipe which lines it up nicely with the intake then. It's just a matter of trying out a few different things, I was lucky and it all fitted first time lol.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25380844/forums/mk3oc/sport/2014/20140708_193029.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25380844/forums/mk3oc/sport/2014/20140708_193036.jpg

Not the best pics as it was raining so was in a rush

Thanks for the reply guys. Have sorted the rail issue by using my old rail with current FPR. Have also managed to sort out all the intercooler pipework after alot of trial and error lol pics to follow. Another quick question though, does anybody know if there is any sort of gasket between the exhaust elbow and manifold? i know there is an o ring type gasket that goes between the elbow and downpipe (which i will be ringing vauxhall about tomorrow and fingers crossed will have it for the weekend!) but wasnt sure if there was one for the manifold. Found this link and doesnt appear to be one here?

http://www.partsbase.org/opel/calibra-1989-1997-7--7-39-1-exhaust-manifold-contd-c20let-ll7-engine/

Thinking about maybe a bit on instant gasket?

Spoke to the guys at autovaux and they dont recon there was a gasket between the manifold and elbow from factory so thats solved that problem. Made some progress on the astra yesterday. I now have gears! Alignement wasnt too bad, took a few attempts but i think i have now got it how i want it. Have also moved the bottom holes for the rubber mounts for the radiator to allow for boost/powersteering pipes. Need to look into getting some of the top ones made up, for now cable ties will do! haha Had a bit of an issue with the exhaust though. Have bolted the elbow to the manifold fine. I then tried to bolt the downpipe to the elbow but am having trouble with the crushable o ring? It seems there is some sort of resistnace stopping me from tightening up the nuts enough to allow the metal faces of the elbow and downpipe to mate. My guess is o ring isnt "crushing " enough. Anyone else come across this? will try and upload some pics later to show you what i mean. Have had trouble in the past with the same type of crushable gasket on a 106 where it seemed to be too tight of a fit and wouldnt crush enough for the exhaust to mate. In the end i just used the old one

the faces of the elbow and downpipe are not ment to meet, its supposed to just crush the o ring enough to seal but also allow some flex in the joint.

if the correct studs are still in the elbow, you`ll notice they are stepped to stop you doing the nut up all the way.

the faces of the elbow and downpipe are not ment to meet, its supposed to just crush the o ring enough to seal but also allow some flex in the joint.

if the correct studs are still in the elbow, you`ll notice they are stepped to stop you doing the nut up all the way.

Ah okay that makes sense! Thatnks for the reply. another question, what coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the radiator have you used? Have googled it and i found someone has used a cavalier gsi one?

Ah okay that makes sense! Thatnks for the reply. another question, what coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the radiator have you used? Have googled it and i found someone has used a cavalier gsi one?

I havent sorted that hose out yet, but on the last one I think I used a cut down 45dg silicone elbow and made it fit.

Was working on the astra yesterday and a bit of bad news...Went to go and put the crank pulley on (with new bolts) and one of the heads of the NEW bolt snapped! What are the chances!? Tried to remove it with an ez-out which resulted in it snapping in the hole. Borrowed the kit from a neibour and he told me he had the kit for years. So now i am a bit stuffed. Done a bit of reading on how to get it out (without drilling the ez-out, think they are hardened steel) would be to find a washer the same size of the bolt weld the washer to the snapped bolt (the snapped bolt isnt completely flush with the crank, have a bit of material to play with) and then to weld a nut to the washer. Although i dont have access to a welder so this will have to wait and 5 bolts will have to do for the minute. Any suggestions on other methods on how to remove it are welcome!! Will uploads pics.

Apart from that, getting there slowly but surely. Still got to mount my oil cooler, get and fit new rad fan, fit auxillary belt and sort out the wiring loom (little messy) and fit and should be getting close to first start...(fingers crossed). Need to order the retaining nut for the turbo oil feed and the two banjo bolts for the oil cooler lines. The ones out of my old xe dont fit. Think they are m16 and im looking for some m18s

So with the wiring i have this that is already on the car

and this is how the wiring loom came, previously out of a c20let astra

Have done a bit of reading and people say its colour to colour? Im assuming they mean to chop the two existing plugs off (in picture) and join to the new loom. Have written down the colours and some of them dont match.

Already on vehicle i have;

First Plug:

Brown/White
Blue/red
Dark green
Blue
Brown
Black/brown
Yellow/brown
Red/blue

Second plug:

Red/black

C20let loom;

Blue
Blue/red
Red/white
Brown/white
Brown/black
Brown/blue
Black/blue
Light green
Black/green
Yellow/brown

and one coming out of the fuel pump relay wiring;

Red/blue

Last edited:
My loom had the plugs still attached so made up a mini loom between the 2. Why not cut the plug off your old engine loom and join it to the let loom then it will just plug straight into the car loom all nice and tidy..

Mini loom i made..

Last edited:
Thats probably what i will end up doing but these ones dont have a pair?

Red/black
Red/white
Brown/blue
Black/blue
Black/green
Brown

3 out of 6 of the original crank pulley bolts rounded off on me a while back and was a right s**t to get out and at the time didnt have any spares so replaced them with m6 bolts which seemed to do the job and have replaced them again this time round

Brown/blue should defo be paired up as its the eml light iirc, which loom doesn't have it the let loom or car loom?..

The car loom..Maybe its a different colour on the astra? Will have to double check i got the colours right

Yeah i get where your coming from, will have a look when im home

Did a little bit more on the astra today. Here is how its looking at the mo...

Had another look at the wiring and have managed to find a matching colour pair for all the wires apart from a black/green wire (let loom side) and a red/white wire (let loom side). There are two red/blue wires, one from the vehicle side and the other from the loom but wasnt sure if they are definatly a pair as the wire on the loom side is coming from the wiring for the fuel pump relay? the picture explains it better lol

So what i have done is cut the old plugs of my old loom so i can solder it to the new let loom and plug it straight into the vehicle but just need to find out about these last remaining wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back