Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Jimmk3's C20let Gsi

Good progress mate, regarding the wiring:

1. black/green - dont need
2. red/white - dont need
3. Red/blue - join together (fuel pump wires)

Thanks mate! Thats perfect. There was also a blue/black (let loom side) wire which i missed with no pair which im assuming i dont need aswell?

Bit of an update on recent activities on the astra. She now runs! Got her started wednesday evening after finishing off some of the wiring. Still not running 100% but runs none the less. Have got a slight oil leak from the oil dipstick where i think the gasket is to blame so have one of them on order. Did have a vaccum leak which took me a while to find. Found out today that it was from the tank vent valve (which i have just connected but not plumbed in) which has now been sorted. Coolant leak coming from under the intake manifold. Originally though that it was from one of the hoses that connect to the 3 outlet connection from the underside of the manifold but made sure they were tight and is still looking so need to make sure that the actual connection is tight against the intake manifold. If the leak continues. i may just get some silicon hosing and just bypass it all together. Does anyone know what its actually for? Is it just to warn the throttle body? Have heard a lot of people just bypass it and have had no problems. Idles a bit high too but until i have got the leaks sorted i cant really inspect any further. Apart from all of that it is going well!

oh im also having trouble trying to find the rad fan plug?

Have a good look for the leak as it could be a core plug in the head as they are just below the manifold, one of mine is leaking so ill be putting a full set in when i get round to it..

Make sure you have decent petrol in aswell, mine misfired on boost with old fuel in, ran spot on again once the fresh v-power went in..

Last edited:
ah okay, how hard are they to change if it does turn out to be a core plug? Need to have another proper look. Will put some new fuel in too as the fuel in there is oldd!

Did a bit more today. Spent the majority of the time cutting up my bumper to fit over the intercooler. Took it for a very quick drive just round the industrial estate where it is at the mo and my 1st gear is third and reverse is 1st? will have to have another look at getting the gears alligned. What methods have people used? I put the box in neutral and put an allen key through the hole in the gear selector housing and cable tied it a little bit towards the driver seat and then tightened the bolt. Still have this coolant leak too unfortunatly. Removed the 3 way connector from under the inlet manifold and renewed the washers but still no joy. When starting from cold, it doesnt leak until the thermostat opens (felt the top rad hose get hot) and its quite a leak. Think it must be coming from either the gasket or a core plug. Hopefully getting it up in the air tomorrow so can have a proper look. Cant really think of anywhere else in that region where it could be leaking from? Was a new inlet manifold gasket too with new nuts all tightened up to the right torque. Will upload pics of its current state soon.

Last edited:
Took me about 2 weeks to get mine set up perfect lol! In the end I had to cut some plastic out of the selector housing as if I set it to get reverse, I'd have no 5th or 6th, so just some plastic out to let it get into 5th and 6th.

I'm fairly sure I ended up setting it up in neutral, as I couldn't get it anywhere near putting pins in it.

20131208_171354.jpg

Crude but it works like a charm :lol:

Did a bit more today. Spent the majority of the time cutting up my bumper to fit over the intercooler. Took it for a very quick drive just round the industrial estate where it is at the mo and my 1st gear is third and reverse is 1st? will have to have another look at getting the gears alligned. What methods have people used? I put the box in neutral and put an allen key through the hole in the gear selector housing and cable tied it a little bit towards the driver seat and then tightened the bolt. Still have this coolant leak too unfortunatly. Removed the 3 way connector from under the inlet manifold and renewed the washers but still no joy. When starting from cold, it doesnt leak until the thermostat opens (felt the top rad hose get hot) and its quite a leak. Think it must be coming from either the gasket or a core plug. Hopefully getting it up in the air tomorrow so can have a proper look. Cant really think of anywhere else in that region where it could be leaking from? Was a new inlet manifold gasket too with new nuts all tightened up to the right torque. Will upload pics of its current state soon.

Yer sounds like a core plug to me, funnily enough mine stopped leaking when it got warm, but it hadn't been run for quite some time still gonna chuck a fresh set in though..

Took the inlet manifold off today and had a look at the core plugs and they seem okay to be honest. No obvious signs of wear/leakage. And then i had a closer look at the gasket and think i found the problem...

You can see from the picture that it has leaked around the coolant ports to the head. This must be the where the leak was coming from but what is the cause of this? brand new victor reinz gasket?

Forgot to have a closer look at the two hoses that lead off the connection on the back of the inlet but i feel like it could of been a joint effort between the gasket and maybe a small slit in one of the hoses...

Last edited:
yes will be getting the emery cloth out tomorrow and will make sure both faces are mint! Ah okay will invest in some sealant too. Cheers for the help guys :)

I just hope i can get it all sorted in time for my mot on saturday morning! If all goes to plan i will be taking it too trax!

Last edited:
So turned up to the car with a new gasket this morning ready to get it fixed and running right to get it through its mot and my mate spotted some rust on the sill so i looked into it further and took off the side skirts and this happened...Definate MOT failure

(these are pictures after i poked around a bit of the passenger side sill)

There is also a hole in the arch which i knew about but isnt as bad. Been quoted £400 plus parts to get it sorted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back