Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Matt's PH1 C18XE GSI

Right well the mate of mine i gave the head to ive lost a bit of trust for.. he said they would stip it and let me know what neeeded to be repalced.

before i gave it to him i said that i though the first 4 would need to be repalced.

the call i got yesterday was to say that they had removed those 4 valves and agreed that they need to be replaced.. what bothers me is that they didnt remove the other 12 so have no idea if they are bent or not..

ive left it with him to finishing stipping and to let me know.

the local engiennering place wants £180 + parts to rebuild so im looking at about £308 for all the valves to be repalced.. not too bad..

ive just found this place - http://www.cylinderheadmasters.co.uk/#/recently-sold/4537815486 and they seem to offer a rebuild service where they will colllect the head, strip it, pressure test it, de-coke, cut new seats and build it all back up for £200 + £30 delivery..

i have tried to call them with no luck so have sent an email asking for them to confirm that this is correct.. if so then thats a good price and ill prob go for it.. anyone heard of them or used them before?

will be ordeirng the other bits this weekend so the car will be off the road for another week.. really starting to miss it now and not enjoying driving my mums 106..talk about the worlds smallest peddle box!

Why dont you just do it yourself mate?

because i dont trust myself and i need the car back ASAP.. id much rather pay for it to be done properly by someone who knows what they are doing rather than me do it, put it back together and find ive not done it properly and it alll has to come back off..plus i dont have the tools to strip the head properly.

should get a call back soon from the people who have it at the moment.. then ill decide weather to use the new company or the place locally..

maybe silly here but is it not better to swap the engine to another one?

in some ways kev, yes maybe.. but i could go through all the hassle of getting another lump, swapping it out and it ****ing up in 1k miles..

id much rather know that mine has been rebuilt and is like new and will last..

maybe after getting this done in a year or so ill look to get another lump and fully rebuild it..

Heads getting sent off tomorrow i think and the total price to re-condition is £200 which im more than happy with.

Last edited:
in some ways kev, yes maybe.. but i could go through all the hassle of getting another lump, swapping it out and it ****ing up in 1k miles..

id much rather know that mine has been rebuilt and is like new and will last...

i fully agree with that, atleast you know your engine will be sweet and wont be paranoid about it going again.

nice work on getting the head done for £200 aswell mate!

Thanks Mate, im still waiting to hear back from the Company so that i can arrange for it to be sent off (i still need to collect it this afternoon from the first person who was gonna look at it)

Gonna order the others parts from AutoVaux saturday morning so they should be here early next week..

Heads going off tomorrow for a full rebuild.. should be back by tuesday/wednesday!

this also includes a headset and head bolts.. few more ££ saved :D

Its ALIVE!!!

Got it all back together on Thursday only a few little probles that i sorted..

new gasket for the water gallery that the coil pack bolts to and to remember to plug in the TPS!

all running great now.. pics to follow :)

nice work mate! :D

Thanks mate, im really chuffed with it, done just shy of 200 miles since friday and it drives so much better, still not taken it over 3k yet..

now i need to sort out getting new tyres for the 17" and get the brakes done...

think its gonna be taking a little trip to the sea side this weekened, not sure if it will be south or east cost yet lol

Bought some plasma dials from Jordan, got them fitted so thought id take a pic of how they look

DSC_0041.jpg

Then yesterday i spent a few hours washing and polishing the old girl

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

They are covers mate and just replace the standard rubber. They where in the at when I bought it :-)

Have been on the Council waiting list for ages to get a garage closer to my house as the other one is a bit far.. got in Friday to find a letter from them offering me one less than a minute away!!

Popped down the coucil office this afternoon to pickup the keys (after spending hours at the weekend emptying and cleaning the old one!)

Got the car and and got a pic of the old girl in her new home.. not the best pic i know but will get some more once the shelves and stuff have gone in :)

photo6.jpg

Had a little accident yesterday... was reversing into the garage and didnt realise how close i was to the door frame on the passneger side..

due to that ive fooked the rear arch, knocking out most of the (POOR) repair that had been done previously.. also broke the mount for the rear bumper..

so come saturday the bumpers comming off and im gonna have to pull the rest of the blown filler off and see how bad it is.. i cant afford to get someone to do it for me so this is just going to be a DIY job just to get it looking OK-ish again until i can afford to have it done properly with a whole new rear quarter that it so badly needs..

ill let the pics do the rest of the talking.. to say im fooked off would be an understatment!

Damage to bumper/broken mount
DSC_0014.jpg

Rest of the damage
DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back