Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

oil change

Best answers
Reaction score
right, ive changed the oil today after a few months of the engine soundin a bit ill, only to find when i drained it there was only about 1 litre of the horrid black stuff in there :confused: and thats after letting it drain for 20 mins after about 20mins thrashin, the engine is a 1.6 sohc and i swear it should hold more than 1 litre, i bought a 4.5L bottle of oil and put about4L in and that sits at just below the max mark on the dipstick thats how it should be right???

yes just under the mark is fine, how often do you check your oil level??

once every couple of weeks but they have been ok all the time, just thought it would be a good idea as the oil was blacker than the ace of spades plus the slightly noisy engine didnt help but now with the new oil it sounds a lot better

im guessing you did the filter at the same time?

no, imma do that tomorra as i got work in a lil bit dont have time, grrrr i hate my job, always gets in the way of the important things (car) but hey it pays the bills

you didnt have time to change the filter? its a two second job, now your gonna have to drain it again to do the filter, just seems like a waste of time!

You don't need to drain the oil to do the filter at all.
Not ideal leaving a old filter on, but won't do any harm for a few days.
I change my oil in astra every year, but have found even using fully synthetic that it is massively better when I use Wynns Valve Lifter lube, the last person in my car has treated both their cars with it too, and swears by it, only £6.99.
My astra developed a misfire when cold, wasn't plugs, leads etc etc, I thought it was plugs so bought some new ones, but a tappet was sounding noisy so put in above stuff, next morning start and from then on now two weeks no hint of a misfire, much more eager, idles much smoother where it was a bit up/down, and vibration has vanished, regained my "lost" 40-50 miles per tank as well.
It improved a zetec(30,000 from new, serviced regular fully synth), a rover/tvr V8 again full serviced a astra 1.4(mine) and a 2wd cossie.
tabetha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back