Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Poor sound quality :(

Vauxhall jim

Club Member
Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all

Here's one for you who know more than me about ICE
I have a Kenwood 4x50 watt headunit that I have had on the standard speakers for two years. I decided it was time to upgrade the door speakers whilst I had the door cards off and fitted a new pair of JBL GTO6528S 165watt 2 ohm 2 way speakers. I spent some time and fitted these properly with soldered joints and now I think the sound is worse than the standard speakers. If I try and add some bass with a bit of volume they distort quite badly. I don't think they even sound as good as the original speakers. Any ideas and advice on improving the sound?
Thanks James

Just googles them, for £30 you can't expect a lot really. The standar speakers are surprisingly good for what they are. I had some Vibe speakers, they wouldn't take any bass at all, I have to set the high pass filter on the amp to stop them getting bass and have it all from the sub.

Just googles them, for £30 you can't expect a lot really. The standar speakers are surprisingly good for what they are. I had some Vibe speakers, they wouldn't take any bass at all, I have to set the high pass filter on the amp to stop them getting bass and have it all from the sub.

So you think I've got crap speakers? May refit the standard ones

Afraid so yes. You need to spend decent money on audio to get something reasonable. My Hertz speakers were about £160, even they're only mid-range speakers at best, they are phenomenal though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I want to keep away from the hastle of amps and bass boxes, cutting door cards for extra speakers ect so I'm guessing its standard speakers for me? I don't want thumping bass just something that can match the sound of my mk5 astra sri :( So what spec are the original speakers? They are only carboard and look pants compared to the new JBL's that I fitted!

Last edited:
Even for £30 they should still sound ok? Sounds like there not getting enough power tbh?

Last edited:
You'll find it's the signal noise that's causing the distortion. This will be because the speakers need a clean signal at a higher wattage than the standard speakers and the headunit may say 50w but that is peak the actual value will be lower and the signal to noise ratio is worse at higher volumes. To get the best sound from the you'd be better off with a small amplifier with rms rating matched or slightly higher thanthe rms rating of your speakers

You'll find it's the signal noise that's causing the distortion. This will be because the speakers need a clean signal at a higher wattage than the standard speakers and the headunit may say 50w but that is peak the actual value will be lower and the signal to noise ratio is worse at higher volumes. To get the best sound from the you'd be better off with a small amplifier with rms rating matched or slightly higher thanthe rms rating of your speakers

Thanks for the advice any you know of that you would recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back