Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Leon's Phase 2

Next update I should have the inner arch welded in and seam sealed.

More progress.

Welded the inner arch in -

What it looks like from underneath-

And again trial fitted the outside 1/4 to make sure the inner clears again, happy to report that it does, will need a little tweaking once the skin is on but will do so when it's in place-

Inner arch has been painted again now, come in for today so will attack it again tomorrow.... may even get the 1/4 on too, will actually look like a car again :D

More done-

So for the sill side there is no lip to underslot it, so with this in mind I thought some more metal behind would not only strengthen but also allow me to add a little more heat without turning into a hole of nothingness. The below is what I came up with, crude I know but seems to have worked well! -

And before slotting the 1/4 skin on I seam sealed a little on the inside-

The sill/kickplate now welded on leaves me with this, I've ground it back slightly lower so I can fill over smooth and level-

And everything seems to line up ok which is a relief! Below showing where the door latch is fixed (bolted through the holes which goes through the main pillar and the 1/4 skin) -

And that's where I'll leave her for tonight.... May be a few days before I can get on this again now though :(

The Eagle eye'd would notice that this is a different 1/4, my other one was used for mock up only while keeping this one free from damage (pained inside in epoxy).-

Right.... well this is taking longer than I thought lol..... More progress anyway -

So welded up the section in place.... Now just before people think the weld looks pants.... well, it does! I agree but it's built up from lots of short runs trying to not blow through and also to not distort the panel too much, this is also to be ground back lower so I can skim with filler.

So below shows it ground back and boot down to show it still lines up (phew!)-

Spot weld holes drilled and then plugged-

And now I've moved onto the back end.... The back panel itself isn't as rotten as I thought it was, mainly the lower left and right sections so I'm now in two minds to replace the lot or just patch it..... will sleep on it I think.

Welding panels isn't easy mate, so so easy to just blow holes and not actually achieve anything! Good progress

Welding panels isn't easy mate, so so easy to just blow holes and not actually achieve anything! Good progress

Cheers. Yeah, I used to attempt ark welding them! My brother actually does a good job with the stick (apart from when he set his car on fire that was!) but migs are bad enough for me. .....At least it won't look like it's been rear-ended with a wonky arch when I've done so will be well happy with that :D

More done today-

This section should actually go under the boot support bit and just sport welded in place, I've gone over it due to some pretty bad previous repairs (not by me), looks like it was rear-ended when new and had a GM rear light cluster section welded in poorly and not sealed. Actually the section that joins to the 1/4 where the seam groove is was just shaped filler! Most of the supporting metal I'd be welding to is mangled so over the top she goes-

And offering the light unit up so I can make sure it still fits!

I had to become creative with the lower section (behind bumper bit), the inside was totally shot so I cut it off!), welded sheet metal to replace -

And then trimmed to size to match the 1/4 section's lower bit-

Then ran some weld over the joins -

Then moved onto the rear section, now I have a full repair skin which I was going to use but thought I'd have a go at repairing what's there as it wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was. Below shows all the rot cut out-

Made a repair up, also replaced the leg off the box section that was a little rotten-

Finished the welding on the 1/4-

Still need to do a final piece for the rear repair section but called it a day now, this is how I've left her (note- light unit hanging out a little, it's only placed for the pic)-

small update again-

Found a nice replacement for the lower vent, it's a GM item but NOT for the MK3 :) My old one was damaged and the thin rubber flaps werent doing their job.... This one is a better design, the flaps are a full plastic section with rubber around them to seal so should do a much better job than the mk3's. I havent actually fitted yet but have offered up and looks like it's a straight replacement-

Finished the lower section repairs-

Then added plenty of seam sealer -

Means that this side is now all sealed up and I've moved onto the filler :D happy days (other lower section will be addressed when I move the car around).

P.S. welded bits get hot apparently, I'll not show you the picture of my hand from the other day :biggrin: -

The flap was off a mk5 if I remember correctly? Was going to order one but was a bit Pricey. The back bottom rear quarter on mine was repaired the same as yours as the repair section is just not available.

The flap was off a mk5 if I remember correctly? Was going to order one but was a bit Pricey. The back bottom rear quarter on mine was repaired the same as yours as the repair section is just not available.

Yep ,correct :) mk5.... Cost a fair bit but so has everything else to be fair! And to be fair the back bottom was easily sorted.

Looking good fella, getting there now

Looking good fella, getting there now

Cheers, going to start looking on the underside next.... Got the tank off and some Schultz / stoneguard to get busy with. Will then shoot it all in epoxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back