Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

1.8 16V cabby

theres a lot of stuff i'm not happy with, as it's had some work done to it in the past by cowboys!

changed the head unit again (3rd time now!) also bodged a ford ariel plug on as the old one was crap, works a lot better now.

got a maf off of ebay and fitted it this morning but it's still the same. looks like i will have to do the paper clip test.

do the clip test and if there is owt you need let me know i have loads of spares for the 1.8 here!!

done the paper clip test and got codes 19 and 73.

19:
Revs per Minute (RPM) signal (crankshaft sensor) Incorrect signal, check sensor

73:
Mass air flow temperature Voltage low

had a look at the wiring and saw that the crank sensor plug by the maf was rubbing on the fan belt

071120111363.jpg

so i put some solder on it then wrapped some tape round it and tried to start it and it fired up straight
away and ran fine. the eml went out aswell, and it actually runs a bit better with the new maf fitted.

071120111366.jpg

and a pic of the maf and top inlet pipe that i changed

041120111360.jpg

got a manifold and down pipe from ebay:
040120121380.jpg

040120121381.jpg

shame they cut the lambda sensor wire as then i wouldn't have had to change it.
got the flange all cleaned up, just need to weld the heat shield on at the bottom.
will get a new fire control ring (wire gasket). will see it i can find a heat shield to
go on the top at some point.

Just rejoin the wires if the sensor wont unbolt?

nice little update that lambda looks like a universal part,so personally u better of using yours, least you no it works, 22mm ring spanner or a propper lambda plug socket will shift it,

140120121382.jpg

140120121383.jpg

140120121384.jpg

140120121385.jpg

140120121386.jpg

as you can see it was repaired in the past instead of being replaced. turns out i didn't need
to replace the manifold and down pipe as it was blowing from the cat to middle pipe join!:tsk:
but it's done now and it's all sealed up and no leaks. also noticed that rad has a tiny leak
as it has a pink stain at the top, so will need to replace that soon.

also changed the gear and handbrake gaitors aswell.
140120121387.jpg

140120121388.jpg

new ones on the right, old ones on the left, came from a low milage car in the scrappy.
also gave the interior a scrub out and a quick wash on the out side, but no pics of that.

nearly for got these:
140120121389.jpg

MK4 side repeater's, was rude not to as they were free! i can see why people fit them
as they just clip streight in. also i kinda broke one of the ovals so good job i had them
to hand!:lol:

went straight through the mot today, only needing the drivers side headlight adjusting. also no advisory's.
also the engine light has now stopped coming on when you stop at junctions and traffic lights, just hunts a bit
on idle every now and then. slowly getting there with it. next item on the list it some heated leather front seats
then possibly some new wheels.

nice to hear another mk3 sailed through its MOT

next plans sound good,, one guy fitted saab 93 leathers into his cabby and they looked really nice,, if you like a challenge go for them, choice of 3 colours,, Black, grey or beige

i can't do too much at the moment as my sister is using it everyday, so can only do small bit's
and piece's. wheels aren't a major issue just they look crap!

260120121406.jpg

got that lot today from a 2.0l sport estate, was going to get the rear bumper aswell, but didn't have enough time.
also got the spare wheel aswell. best bit was i got it all free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back