Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

ASTRA MK3 1.8 MISFIRING

Best answers
Reaction score
i have a 1994 mk3 atra 1.8 sport.. started with a rough idle, as i suspect its the icv. then on dual carriage way something happened to the car and it lost its power. i somehow limped back home and checked out what was happening.

i checked the spark plugs and they was bad so i replaced them.

i also replaced the spark plug wires and still it was the same problem.

i turned on the car and pulled each spark plug, all 3 of them had reaction, as in losing more power.

only one had no reaction whatsoever.

could it be the cylinder.?

Last edited:
Any sign of the engine management light? If not pull the lead and stick an old spark plug in it and crank it, see if there's a spark, if not could be the coil pack, if there is then if it's only one cylinder it could be a dead injector

yes there is engine management light on. I'll replace the coil pack tomorrow and see how it goes from there

Have you used new or known working parts for the spark plugs, leads etc? Have you checked the afm? Fuel filter? Air filter? Idle control valve? Cleaned out the throttle body?

i bought new spark plugs and wires in euro car parts. i believe the icv needs and maf needs replacing as it had poor power. i dont know about the vac pipes.. but how can any of this be the reason to why there is no reaction when i pull out one spark plug wire. the only thing that pops in my head is bad valve or cylinder..?

Ah sorry I misread the bit about removing the ht lead and having no reaction.
If the plugs and leads are new it sounds like it could be a duff cylinder

I would be reading off the fault codes if the check engine light is on. You can do it without a scanner.
Do you know when it last had a timing belt?
A slack belt could cause the problems you describe and will flag up a cam sensor fault if it's out of sync.

Cam sensor on yours is right at the top of the engine, on the left hand side with a wiring plug coming out of it, under the ECOTEC plastic cover.
I don't think that's your trouble though- if they fail, they just put the light on.
I would remove the timing belt cover and check the belt tension; even if it's fine, it's a good idea as a failing belt will trash the engine.. (and C18XEs are awesome!)

If it revs past 3.5k it won't be cam sensor, mine used to drive me mad goin into limp mode all the time

I've gone coocoo now. The engine light is on, its running on 3 cylinders.

I replaced spark plugs, wires and coil pack.

Still misfires.

It revs past 3.5

I genuinely lost my mind i dont know what else to look for or replace

Heres an update guys. I went to my mechanic. He checked the compression and everything seems to be fine on level. He thinks it could be a cam sensor or faulty coil pack. When we removed the wires from the coil pack, little sparks started to burst out of the pack and he said its not normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back