Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

cloud of black smoke then 0000MPH!!!

Best answers
Reaction score
my diesel low blow has always been slow but reliable. On returning from the hosp after some news i hammered the poor thing home, happened to glance in the rear mirror and saw a HUGE dense cloud of blue/black smoke spat out from my exhaust and then the car just took off! WOW!

obvious i had cleared a blockage from somewhere but from WHERE?

car has been going really well since, like i have an extra 20 horses!

anyone know where the blockage could have been so i can give it a clean?

Pretty much all diesels will respond well with a bit of a good going over sometimes.... I regularly have to give Mum's 405GLTD a prodding at the accelerator and clear out all the crap!

yeah it is, when i got rid of the cav and got the astra i knew it was gonna be slow coss of it being lowblow so kind of got used to the laid back style of driving. now its going alot better, will have to thrash it more often:heh:

I boot mine everywhere, it doesn't make it any quicker :Cry:

My 1.6 goes pretty well... Both of them do, mine and the other halfs.

Diesels need a good booting now and again though as diesel is a sooty fuel, unlike Petrol that isn't.

mine has cat too. My ex used to ask me every once in a while to take her car out and do that thing i do to make it smoother, she didnt realise it was because i ragged the crap out of it :lol:

yeah they have cats, some came without and apparently can get a non cat manifold pipe for it... i boot mine everywhere. i probly do 20mpg as the fuel never lasts long lol. im lucky to get 300mile out of a full tank

yeah they have cats, some came without and apparently can get a non cat manifold pipe for it... i boot mine everywhere. i probly do 20mpg as the fuel never lasts long lol. im lucky to get 300mile out of a full tank

I'm the same, 250-300 to a tank usually :doh: I've got over 400 miles to a tank before though!

i normally get around 370 miles but ive learnt to drive it quick but reasonably efficiently. Best i ever got was 593 miles from a tank, that was 95% motorway driving at 70 all the way though. Worst ive got is 191 miles, and i ragged it everywhere!

These are all pretty good figures. Neither of my two 1.6 16v's do more than 320 a tank full, from Full to red light...

I've managed 410 miles to a tank.. 370 mile non-stop to Cornwall, about 70 all the way.. it did pretty well really as a lot of the hills down there are 2nd/3rd gear flat out in my car!

These are all pretty good figures. Neither of my two 1.6 16v's do more than 320 a tank full, from Full to red light...

tom got 590 miles froma tank of diesel, a 1.6 16v getting that figure is pretty good mate the best i got from mine is 350 driving at 50 mph on the motorway average i was gettign like 200 miles to a tank driving mine petty hard everywhere, and im using half the petrol i used to in my diesel from £50 a week to £25 so much cheaper in the 6ish weeks ive owned it ive saved half as much as ive paid for it lol

Hmmmmmm personally I recon the turbo is on the way out and sticking too much boost in the engine.

could be, best thing to do is check the little pipe between the turbo and actuater is still there and isnt split or anything. Is it still smoking?

could be, best thing to do is check the little pipe between the turbo and actuater is still there and isnt split or anything. Is it still smoking?

ive lost the thread but if refering to me then the pipes are okay and no its not smoking, it was just one BIG puff of smoke and then back to normal exept the car pull one hell of alot better. i have slight bit of black smoke on start up then clears in less than a minute to light blue then after a couple of minutes it clears completley. ( well thats what it looks like!)

edit; im adveraging about 50mpg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back