Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

knocking on full lock

Best answers
Reaction score
hi guys, need a bit of help here with somethin

as i live in an apartment with a small carpark i have to do a lot of turning just to get in/out of the car park but when i get full lock on the steering i get a bad knocking and what feels like the wheels jumping slighly, now ive checked everything i can and cant find anything wrong, all bolts are fine cv joins good no rips cracks, only thing i did notice wat my top mounts are on the way out but they will be changed soon.

any ideas as to what could be causing this as its annoying not being able to find whats wrong

Could be something really simple-
Have you got mudflaps on the front? these can catch on full lock and make a very stange / bad noise that could be your problem
OR
Could be your suspension top bearings need changing (not allowing your springs to turn freely but then letting then spring back into possition when ful lock is on)?

if your tops are dead then you would guess that the bearings need replacing too so hopefully it will cure it. Just make sure that theres nothing loose- bottem balljoint for example which on my car didnt have a split pin through the nut and the nut was about to fall off completly! I was shocked as I got the car with a full MOT!! this made a very bad knocking but only over bumps

cv joints mate, they may not be ripped but could dtill be shagged. only way to tell is remove and inspect

as above i get the same but only from the passenger side and i know the CV is fooked lol

yea prob cv, grab the shaft and give at a shake see if theres any play

id say driveshaft or the bearing in the top mount

As above, I was taught to put the steering on full lock and drive. If it makes a knocking noise, then its usually a drive shaft that is knackerd. This happens when the cv has split at sometime and no one knew about it and the **** off the roads are getting into the drive shaft, thus causing them damage.

Hope this helps mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back