Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Another (Different) Mk3 Newb

Best answers
Reaction score
Good Day All,

As much as I would love to slap a supercharger or a turbo onto the engine and have a surge in power I know this is a near impossible task (Having done some research) without a lot of time and effort. I would appreciate some advice on the best areas (notorious faults) within the engine that could be losing power or just need replacing to add some more Vigor to the engine!

1993 1.4L Mk3 Astra (Phase 1) - in Light Blue if you must know.. ;)

I will Start a diary as soon as I get around to Fitting a radio (Or spark plugs if that happens sooner) - Thats a whole other thread (Having not had one for months I finally decided to bite the bullet - Some Rewiring may be in order as the cables all appear to be incompatible in their current states)

Thanks All
=Zilch=

It's stamped on the top of the engine block, just in front of the cylinder head, below the 4th spark plug.

You will probably need to clean it to read it. Or you can post a photo of your engine bay up, and some of the guys on here can probably ID it.

It's a c14nz, although I'm looking more at restoring it to start with and then maybe when I get bored of fuel economy I'll drop a bigger engine in :lol:
I'll have to take a photo at some point soon as I really didn't have the time.
=Zilch=

I believe the NZ is the single point injection, you want a bit more power you could convert to multi point, will take you from 60hp to 80hp IIRC...

Cheers for the pointers! I'll look into it and see what's available locally as well (Might find a decent engine for cheap somewhere - Won't know if I don't look)

I'll let you know how I get on with sourcing parts (and knowledge) :rolleyes:

=Zilch=

Welcome to the club. There isn't a massive amount of tuning options for that engine. A lot of the members on here started out with 1.4s though so don't worry.
Best way for you to get more power would be to find a whole c14se engine and fuel pump. Ideally a whole car and get a few mates to help you convert it. Or you could save up for a year or so and go for something bigger like a c16se or even a 2.0. Have a look through the owners diaries for some inspiration.
Be sure to start a diary if you do any work to it though, no matter how small the job, members are always happy to see progress and help out where they can. :thumb:

I've sent out some "feelers" to local breakers so I'll see what pops up from those guys but failing that I'll shop around for some replacements parts to maintain this engine (then eventually clean it and sell it on after a full swap) :biggrin:
=Zilch=

As mentioned already, converting it to multi-point is the best option. Otherwise you're looking into twin carbs or throttle bodies, a big camshaft and solid lifters etc to let it rev hard. Or if you really wanted to, a decompression plate and turbo it.

My first mk3 was a 96 1.4 16v. After a while I wanted to upgrade the power. I went down the 1.6 conversion route, and tbf the difference wasn't great. If you're after a decent power gain then maybe look to a 1.8-2.0 conversion. Cheaper than turbo charging, however you may need to upgrade the suspension, anti roll bars etc.

My first mk3 was a 96 1.4 16v. After a while I wanted to upgrade the power. I went down the 1.6 conversion route, and tbf the difference wasn't great. If you're after a decent power gain then maybe look to a 1.8-2.0 conversion. Cheaper than turbo charging, however you may need to upgrade the suspension, anti roll bars etc.

I think he has the 8v c14nz so probably would notice the difference from 64 bhp to 100
Good point made though. More power means you need better brakes etc etc

The NZ is 8v, but most of us have had this engine and it does exactly what it should..
They're economical-ish but I think the C14SE (multipoint injection) is better still, with more power!

FWIW, one of my favourite Astras was a base spec Merit, with a C14NZ. I lowered it, improved the brakes, added electric windows etc; I loved it!! Just enjoy the cheap tax/ insurance at the moment and improve as you see fit :thumb:

Looked after they will go forever as well, bought mine 9 years ago now on 90k and it's on 170k now, either the clutch or the box has let go but the engine is still sweet. Think jono_astra had 200k out of his before it got a bit tired as well. Not a bad car for biffing about in. Just don't Gsi kit it like i did, or if you do just pretend it's broken :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back