Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Great to see the car is still alive Rick.

Think it's the only one that has survived the longest since this forum was started?
Cheers John, yeah it could be the longest survivor on here, I'd need to have a proper look back

Thats what we like to see

So not much of an update, cars been sat since October untouched until yesterday. Put new front disks and pads on since the ones on there are pretty much destroyed. Noticed its gonna need a new inner CV boot, a horrible job if there ever was one. Also when I jacked it up on the drivers side the jack basically went through the sill so that could be an issue. Apart from that not much has changed.

It's now under surveillance 24 hours a day though

Attachments

• IMG-20210513-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210513-WA0000.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 18
Jesus thats not good on the sill but i never jacked them up there - always wish bone as its stronger!

As for camera, i'd have it the other side so you can see who's coming up the drive................

I have a long bit of metal i put on the sill an Jack on that to spread the load

Took a notion and stuck it in for an MOT and well this happened. Imagine my surprise when I got that phone call. I won't post advisories list though haha.

Also no idea how to upload pics from the gallery section in here anymore so from my phone they come, as annoying as it is its the only way I can do it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525_174207.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525_174207.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 7
buy a computer haha

yea you deffo shouldn't be jacking up on the sill mate! I used to drive onto wood and jack on the subframe

This car has always been one of my favs, glad it's still around

Wow over a year since the last update, sometimes life gets in the way eh.

I've been neglecting this car for a while mainly because I've just not had the time to use it.

But in May I stuck into my mates garage for an inspection before the MOT, it was not a good report. Mainly corrosion and rust around the sills and jacking points, inner cv boot (eurgh the worst) and handbrake not working. Biggest problem in all of this is the welding, I am not a welder nor do I know of anyone who is. After a lot of searching around (since May) it turns out no where wants to weld up an old astra so I just kinda gave up with it. By chance one of my mates asked me what was wrong with it and I told him it needed welding done, and he told me of an older guy in his late 60s who might do it, and best of all its literally on my door step. So I went and saw him and he said it wouldn't be a problem.
20220910_142713.jpg20220910_142735.jpg20220910_143507.jpgI'm very pleased with the outcome and while he was at it he also gave the whole underside of the car a light dusting of tetra schutz underseal
20220910_142643.jpgalso the CV boot and rear brakes were done at the same time because the guy just loves working on cars to keep him busy. Made a customer for life.

Before I got the bad news in May I also stuck some new shocks and springs on it just to freshen it up a bit, only took 1 pic but you get the idea
20220414_170449.jpg
And since most of the interior was out for the welding to get done I thought why not give it a bit of a clean
20220910_143440.jpgso I'll get it booked in for an mot this week and report back with the results

Blimey! Well done on finding someone local to do the work! Glad she is back on the road. If you get a pass on it you should make a point of driving it to work, the love comes flooding back quickly I find!

Yeah it was a stroke of luck finding Alex. By sheer chance its actually my grans old next door neighbour from way back in the day, he's a proper old school mechanic, no air compressor or buzz guns just straight to the point tools. He's got an old Morris minor that he's restoring at the moment so it was cool to see one of them as well.

I'm gonna start using it more regularly once it's mot'd and I leave around 5am for my commute to work so that'll please the neighbours who already hate me

dare i say it but if this went for sale i'd be tempted

Wow over a year since the last update, sometimes life gets in the way eh.

It really does unfortunately :doh:

Great to see an update and welding done though! I'm dreading trying to find somebody to weld my mk3 up :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back