Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Guide: Differences between Phase 1 and 2 (Picture Heavy)

Reaction score
Ph1.... Will always win... Dont get me wrong... i own more then one of each lol.... and i ****ing hate the ph2's they look crap..... ph1 FTW!

MK3MAD

B&
Reaction score
Bonnet hinges are different too, i think if you try fit a phase 1 bonnet on a phase 2 a couple of holes have to be drilled?
I told you that mate (din't i? :lol:)

on the later ph2's you do
The phase 2 indges was fitted to the phsae 1 in 1994 just before the facelift, stupid vauxhall, what did you do that for? :angry:

MK3MAD

B&
Reaction score
Also the rear exhaust hangers are different, the phase 1 (apart from GSi's) had a single hanger and the ph2's had 2 (or is it 3?) including the ph1 GSi

Also the GSi's had different front bumper mounts to all the other models,

Again, the ph2 GSi's had a revised internal wiring than the ph1 GSi,

Also the steering racks are different, as the later ph2's had a quicker lock to lock rack than the ph1's,

GSi's had more flaired inner wheel arches from all the other models,

only PH1 GSi's had headlight washers not ph2's

ph1's have 3 way heater resistor were-as the ph2's have a 4 way resistor,

only phase 2's had a/c

the phase 2 have different door cards to the phase 1's, and im not talking about the trim pattern, the handled are slightly shaped differently. ph1's had 2 screws in the handle where-as the ph2's only have one,

Also. the ph2's had an immobilised ecu where-as ph1's didn't

i think that covers what i know (i think)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The phase 2 indges was fitted to the phsae 1 in 1994 just before the facelift, stupid vauxhall, what did you do that for? :angry:
But some ph2's didnt have ph2 hinges's ;) ph1 bonnets sometimes bolt straight onto ph2's, mo old estate being one of them, and max's sport iirc?

jono_astra

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
At least theres some consistency then? lol... I remember my grandads Lada, the interior was different colours- one door handle on the inside was black and the other was cream / beige... It came out of the factory new that way!

Reaction score
Not all Phase 2's have 3 hangers for the exhaust. mine only has one.

and not all phase 2's had Imobo's either as mine aint, this goes on trim level i belive.
Must do, I have the "Special Edition" Expression (Emphasis on the Special) and don't have an immobiliser as far as I'm aware!

Reaction score
theres a difference on the rear seat mounts aswell, not sure if this is down to the spec level though
No, this is another diffrence between PH1 and PH2 as i had that problem when i put PH2 seats in my PH2.

Reaction score
Can't believe this has been left out:

'Ordinary' Astras had side mounted aerials - Sport and GSi models had roof mounted aerials.

Also, the Phase 1 GSi having clear repeaters, the Phase 1 CDi model had them as well (was released in 1991).

CD:

Which cars came with the blue interior? lmao

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
I had a phase 1 LS with blue interior (was a white 5 door on an L reg). I actually liked it :tape:

Reaction score
also any ideas why my car would have a roof mounted ariel and an electrical one in the rear quarter ?? and how can you tell the different between phase 1 headlights and phase 2
The roof mounted one is what the mkI Astra had and is a lot better than the rear one! so someone did you a favour by fitting it. So just use it and don't worry..

Reaction score
Which cars came with the blue interior? lmao
My 94 merit 1.7d estate has a blue interior. But the covers for the cubby holes on side of boot aren't. Big one is black, little one is grey :P

Another difference I've noticed, both my last 2 Ph 2 estates had parcel shelves, my Ph 1 estate does not (and has no fittings for one so not just missing)

Reaction score
got another one the speedo units in the ph1 clocks wont fit into a ph2 set of clocks however with a bit of wiring you can get the ph2 speedo unit into ph1 clocks
Good to know, I'm about to replace mine for one with rev counter

Reaction score
Very good info there. i had a ph 1 astra estate and a ph 1 astra hatchback. now i have a ph 2 astra hatch. there are so many different things i would have thought you could of swapped between the 2. obviously not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)