Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Guide: Differences between Phase 1 and 2 (Picture Heavy)

Ph1.... Will always win... Dont get me wrong... i own more then one of each lol.... and i ****ing hate the ph2's they look crap..... ph1 FTW!

Bonnet hinges are different too, i think if you try fit a phase 1 bonnet on a phase 2 a couple of holes have to be drilled?

I told you that mate (din't i? :lol:)

on the later ph2's you do

The phase 2 indges was fitted to the phsae 1 in 1994 just before the facelift, stupid vauxhall, what did you do that for? :angry:

Also the rear exhaust hangers are different, the phase 1 (apart from GSi's) had a single hanger and the ph2's had 2 (or is it 3?) including the ph1 GSi

Also the GSi's had different front bumper mounts to all the other models,

Again, the ph2 GSi's had a revised internal wiring than the ph1 GSi,

Also the steering racks are different, as the later ph2's had a quicker lock to lock rack than the ph1's,

GSi's had more flaired inner wheel arches from all the other models,

only PH1 GSi's had headlight washers not ph2's

ph1's have 3 way heater resistor were-as the ph2's have a 4 way resistor,

only phase 2's had a/c

the phase 2 have different door cards to the phase 1's, and im not talking about the trim pattern, the handled are slightly shaped differently. ph1's had 2 screws in the handle where-as the ph2's only have one,

Also. the ph2's had an immobilised ecu where-as ph1's didn't

i think that covers what i know (i think)

Last edited:
The phase 2 indges was fitted to the phsae 1 in 1994 just before the facelift, stupid vauxhall, what did you do that for? :angry:

But some ph2's didnt have ph2 hinges's ;) ph1 bonnets sometimes bolt straight onto ph2's, mo old estate being one of them, and max's sport iirc?

Last edited:
At least theres some consistency then? lol... I remember my grandads Lada, the interior was different colours- one door handle on the inside was black and the other was cream / beige... It came out of the factory new that way!

Not all Phase 2's have 3 hangers for the exhaust. mine only has one.

and not all phase 2's had Imobo's either as mine aint, this goes on trim level i belive.

Must do, I have the "Special Edition" Expression (Emphasis on the Special) and don't have an immobiliser as far as I'm aware!

theres a difference on the rear seat mounts aswell, not sure if this is down to the spec level though

No, this is another diffrence between PH1 and PH2 as i had that problem when i put PH2 seats in my PH2.

Can't believe this has been left out:

'Ordinary' Astras had side mounted aerials - Sport and GSi models had roof mounted aerials.

Also, the Phase 1 GSi having clear repeaters, the Phase 1 CDi model had them as well (was released in 1991).

CD:
4612778077_ba55cd8b9c.jpg

Which cars came with the blue interior? lmao

I had a phase 1 LS with blue interior (was a white 5 door on an L reg). I actually liked it :tape:

also any ideas why my car would have a roof mounted ariel and an electrical one in the rear quarter ?? and how can you tell the different between phase 1 headlights and phase 2

The roof mounted one is what the mkI Astra had and is a lot better than the rear one! so someone did you a favour by fitting it. So just use it and don't worry..

Which cars came with the blue interior? lmao

My 94 merit 1.7d estate has a blue interior. But the covers for the cubby holes on side of boot aren't. Big one is black, little one is grey :P

Another difference I've noticed, both my last 2 Ph 2 estates had parcel shelves, my Ph 1 estate does not (and has no fittings for one so not just missing)

got another one the speedo units in the ph1 clocks wont fit into a ph2 set of clocks however with a bit of wiring you can get the ph2 speedo unit into ph1 clocks

Good to know, I'm about to replace mine for one with rev counter

Very good info there. i had a ph 1 astra estate and a ph 1 astra hatchback. now i have a ph 2 astra hatch. there are so many different things i would have thought you could of swapped between the 2. obviously not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back